Dab without a torch
Torches are the biggest turn off for people that are hesitant to dab. It’s easy to understand, since torches have the ability to start a fire and accidents from mishandling a torch can result in serious injury for the operator. If buying butane and finding a torch that lasts are among your worries, your dabbing options aren’t limited to the traditional method. In fact, if you’re looking for discretion and less to carry in your arsenal, ditching the torch might be exactly what you need.
Health Stones bring the motions of packing a bowl back to the world of concentrates. These hand pipes and bowl attachments use a 100% inert ceramic stone to make dabbing more portable. Dabs are applied on top of the stone, and then a small cigar lighter applies just the right amount of heat to vaporize the oils. The portability of an Inner Cooler Hand Vape changes the game of dabbing on the go. If you still want to use your vapor rig, try out the attachment that hooks a healthstone up to your rig. Previously, vaporizers were the only option, but now glass enthusiasts can stay high on the move without a huge torch. The average lifespan of a vapor stone is around six months, depending on how often it is used.
Vaporizers are a great option to enjoy your cannabis concentrates when you’re not at home. Most devices have a compact design and contain strong batteries to last the day on one charge. The dabs are heated up with a coil in a chamber that’s known as an atomizer. Coils can be made of quartz, ceramic or titanium, much like dab nails are. Usually these atomizers need to be replaced within a few months, depending on how much use they receive. These tools come in prices ranging from $30 to over $200 for those considering a budget, but be warned – you’ll get the quality you are willing to pay for.
Topping a Bowl
Before there was any sort of vaporizer or glass nail designed to properly enjoy your dabs, the go-to method was to top your greens with hash oil. Due to its ability to liquify easily, the wax melts into the herbs and combusts along with the dry material. If you’re sharing the bowl with multiple people, stretching the wax out to cover as much as possible while cornering the bowl allows everyone to join in on the added terpenes. The recommended amount of concentrates to use is about the size of two average dabs for the individual smoking it. You end up using more when topping a bowl because packs of dry herb last longer than hits from a nail. For certain consistencies that are harder to work with your hands, try melting the wax on with a lighter to guarantee an even coating.
Electric nails are the definition of dabbing without a torch. These devices have a box that supplies power to a coil which wraps around the outside of your titanium, quartz or ceramic nail. This tool eliminates the need to buy butane every week or a torch every few years, and in addition, the fact that you can take a dab whenever you want and remain at a consistent temperature when doing so seals the deal. Before using one, be sure to test out your glass and check that the coil won’t cause your piece to tip over once it’s standing on its own. If it’s easy to tip over with a nail in the joint, it might not be the best rig to use. E-Nails can range from $100 to over $500, but every company brings a product with its own advantage and selling point to every budget.
Coating a Joint
Using concentrates to coat the outside of your joint adds to the potency, taste and burn when smoking it. When you introduce dabs to the world of dry herbs, the combined high is very powerful. If you’re dealing with wax that’s easy to handle, try working it into a long snake to make the process easier. From here, wrap the long strand around the outside of the paper. For unstable sap, budder and crumble, use your dab tool to almost paint the joint with dabs. Try not to saturate both ends in the process because you’ll need one as a mouthpiece when smoking.
Seeking a more convenient way to dab? Find a method that works for you here.
How to Smoke Wax Without a Rig – 5 Methods
This article was made possible thanks to my friends over at Vaporizers Direct.
Having concentrates but nothing to smoke it out of is such a bummer. Traditionally, wax and shatter are smoked out of a dab rig. Unfortunately, these can get kinda pricey – especially for someone who doesn’t smoke concentrates that often.
BUT, no need to worry.
I put together a list of 5 good ways to smoke wax or shatter without a rig. Additionally, I included 3 bad ways to smoke without a rig at the end. If you have any additional tips please let me and everyone else know in the comment section at the bottom of the page.
Glass Bowl or Bong
This is for sure the easiest way to go about smoking concentrates without a rig. Load your bowl up like normal then put your shatter or wax on top of the herb. You can smoke it like you normally would and it’ll get you plenty high.
- Super easy and hassle-free.
- This way can be a bit wasteful. Once it starts smoking it doesn’t extinguish itself like it normally would so it’s better to keep hitting it so you don’t lose as much smoke to the air.
- You don’t get the taste of just the wax which some people prefer. You’re always going to get a taste of herb with your concentrates.
- You have to have herb in order for this to work. You can’t smoke just wax out of a glass bowl.
- If your concentrates are a bit unstable (i.e. melted or sticky) put it in the freezer for 10 minutes or so. It will harden it enough for you to place it in your bowl.
- When first starting hit the bowl slowly and don’t bring the lighter too close. Ideally, you want to melt the concentrates into the rest of the herb. If you hit it too hard then it will light up on fire and you’ll loose more of your wax.
Roll It Up
If you really like rolling joints and blunts then you’ll be happy to know that it’s totally possible to add concentrates to your favorite hand rolled smoking device. There are two main ways you can go about this:
- You can put it around the outside of your joint or blunt. I like to do a circle around the blunt – I call them checkpoints. Some people also call the speed bumps. Really you can wrap it around however you like. Be ready for it though because it will get drippy so you have to hold it at a higher angle.
- You can also roll it up in the inside of your joint. I make a little ‘snake’ that I line the entire length of the rolling paper with. Then place your herb on top and roll as usual.
- This way is pretty easy and if all you have are joint papers then it’s really all you can do.
- Like with using a glass bowl, rolling up your concentrates isn’t exactly the most efficient way to smoke. You’re going to lose to quality smoke to the air, but you’ll still get nice a stoney.
- As mentioned earlier, the concentrates will get drippy. This isn’t as much of a problem if you put the concentrates on the inside.
- The concentrates may cause your joint or blunt to burn a bit weird and create runs.
- If you have any kief then you can roll the joint in it. This not only gets you higher, but it also looks neat.
Oh, knife hits. What a love-hate relationship I have with those things. Here’s the deal. I personally am not a huge fan of knife hits for one reason – they make me feel like a weed junky. Putting that aside, they do work really well and can be done using common household items. All you need is 2 butter knives, a heat source (usually a stove top or small torch), and an empty plastic bottle.
The basic idea is to get the knives super hot, drop some concentrates on, then press them together. This will vaporize your concentrates. This is when you need to be ready with your plastic bottle which you’ve cut the bottom out of it. Use the bottle like a funnel and suck up all the smoke. The whole process is much easier with 2 people, trust me.
- When done properly it is pretty efficient and probably the closest thing to an actual dab on this list.
- Can be done with everyday items in your kitchen.
- Makes you look like a weed junky. Hide those knives before your mother comes over – she’ll think you’re smoking meth or something.
- A little difficult to coordinate until you get the hang of it.
- Hot knives are one of those things you just need to see in action. If you’re interested in trying it then check out this youtube video.
- In most youtube videos you see them use a torch. If you don’t have a torch just get the eye of your stove red hot and place the knives on there.
- If you’re having trouble dropping the concentrates on the knife then consider only heating one knife and having the dab on the other knife. I’ve found you can still get plenty of heat off just one knife.
I know, this requires you to purchase something, but it’s a lot less expensive that a rig. It’s also a lot more inconspicuous. Vape pens are widely available in both head shops and online. I highly recommend Vaporizers Direct. They have a huge selection and can help you pick a vaporizer that will suit your needs.
- More affordable than a rig.
- Inconspicuous and fits in your pocket.
- Very efficient and helps conserve your concentrates.
- Not something that you would have lying around the house like the other methods.
- Some people do not like the taste that a vape pen gives off. Personally, I find it different but not necessarily off-putting.
- You don’t really get a huge rip like you would off a dab rig.
- If this is something that you’re going to be using regularly then you may want to spend some time online looking at reviews. You may end up deciding to spend a bit more on a long-lasting vape. On the other hand, if you just need a quick solution then grab up a cheap one and have at it.
This one is not really smoking at all, but it is a way to consume concentrates so I thought it was fair for it to make the list. You can get high from eating concentrates, but you will have a bit of prep work beforehand. First, you need to decarboxylate your concentrates. Basically, you need to heat it up to the point where your THCa turns into THC. Like the knife hits, this is a process that is best explained with video so here’s one for everyone considering eating their concentrates. The most important thing is to go very slow with this method. Start out with much less than what you would expect.
- Uses things found commonly in the kitchen.
- Don’t have to smoke or vaporize if your throat is sensitive.
- Nothing like taking an actual dab. This is pretty much exactly like taking an edible.
- Many people don’t like the taste, but I have a tip below that may help with this problem.
- You can also put the decarbed oil in pill capsules if you don’t want to worry about the taste or getting the wax all over your mouth and teeth.
Ways Not Recommended For Smoking Wax
There are a few ways we found that people are smoking wax, but these methods are not recommended. There are better ways to go about smoking without a rig which I mentioned above.
The stove is fine for heating up your hot knives, but we’ve found some people are just dropping their concentrates on the eye of the stove. This goes bad a few different ways. First off, the concentrates tend to drip off the sides only to be caught by your stove’s grease trap. More importantly, you are sticking your face next to a big, red hot burner. This method is just asking to be put on the evening news.
You can use the red-hot coil of a car lighter to vaporize concentrates, but you’re most likely going to end up ruining your car lighter pretty quickly. The coil will vaporize most of it, but there’s always a chance of getting it on the sides. Once this happens you can’t put it back into the slot without getting goo inside.
Tin Foil / Aluminum Foil
This method will work, but the problem is foils tend to off-gas more than solid metals. Once this happens you’ll be breathing in more than just wax vapor. This method – like the hot knives – will make you feel like a weed fiend.
I hope you enjoyed this article. Let me know what you think in the comment section below.
Also, if you enjoyed this article then here are a few of my other article you may like:
How to Smoke Wax Without a Rig – 5 Methods This article was made possible thanks to my friends over at Vaporizers Direct. Having concentrates but nothing to smoke it out of is such a bummer.