Grinder Guide & Review:
Want to get the best results from vaping with a vape pen? Whether you’re using a desktop vaporizer, a portable vaporizer, or a dry herb vaporizer pen, you’ll get the most vapor, the best taste, and superior vapor quality when you use a herb grinder, or herb crusher to grind your herbs into smaller pieces prior to filling your dry herb vaporizer. Herb grinders break herbs down, increasing the surface area of the herbs to allow for optimal vaporization.
Because herb grinders greatly improve the vape experience, you’ll find a wide assortment for sale online and in vape shops. This means you have plenty of options, but it can also make it difficult to know which one is truly the best grinder for your vaping needs. To help you focus your search on the best herb grinders, here’s a quick guide on what to look for as you compare different models.
Manual vs Electric Herb Grinder Options
The first thing that you’ll need to decide when you’re looking for the best herb grinders is whether you want an electric herb grinder or a manual herb grinder. Electric grinders are great time-saving devices, and spare you the hassle of having to manually crush the herbs; however, most people who are experienced with vaporizers find that electric herb grinders do not evenly grind herbs, and can contribute to poor vapor quality. Still, you might prefer an electric herb grinder if you have arthritis or another medical problem that makes it difficult for you to grip or twist objects.
Number of Parts in Manual Herb Grinders:
A herb grinder can have two, three, four, or five pieces, depending on its design. Each type offers different benefits as follows:
– 2 piece Grinder – features a top portion where the herbs are placed and a bottom portion that grinds the herbs. The 2 piece grinder is a popular choice, particularly among those looking for cheap grinders.
– 3 piece Grinder – includes an extra piece and separates larger herb pieces from smaller herb pieces as you grind.
– 4 piece Grinder – has an extra compartment that holds pollen or kief. Sometimes, this type is referred to as a grinder with kief catcher. The 4 piece herb grinder is one of the most popular types of herb grinders for sale on the market today.
– 5 piece Grinder – has a final compartment that captures the finest particles of pollen. The 5 piece grinder is not common, and only offered by a small number of manufacturers.
Comparing Herb Grinder Materials
Once you have decided whether a 2, 3, 4, or 5-piece herb grinder is the right option for your needs, you’re ready to consider the materials from which an herb grinder is made. Here are the most common types of materials used in dry herb grinders, and some of their benefits and drawbacks:
– Titanium Grinder – A titanium metal grinder will be more expensive than other herb grinders; however, choosing one of these top of the line models has its benefits. Titanium is incredibly strong, and is capable of grinding herbs very finely. It is also scratch-resistant, and less likely to break than other types of grinders. Making an investment in a titanium grinder could provide cost savings over time, as you may need to replace cheap herb grinders several times, whereas a titanium grinder can last for years.
– Wood Grinder – A wood grinder can perform well, and produce evenly ground herbs that vaporize well. If you’re considering a wooden grinder, it’s important to look for one with a nontoxic finish to avoid contaminating your herbs with chemicals. Another drawback to a wooden herb grinder is that it is more fragile, and may not last as long as other types of grinders.
– Aluminum Grinder – An aluminum herb grinder allows you to get the strength and durability benefits of metal, while still being able to purchase a relatively cheap grinder. Aluminum is very light in weight, so even a large herb grinder made out of the material will be easy to carry. According to herb grinder reviews and sales statistics, aluminum herb grinder models are the most popular type of herb grinder among vape enthusiasts.
– Acrylic Grinder – An acrylic or plastic grinder is the cheapest type of herb grinder. These grinders typically do not last as long as other types; however, they may be adequate if you don’t vape often, or only vape herbs occasionally, and tend to prefer e juice, e liquid, or wax for daily use. If you choose to purchase a plastic herb grinder, look for one that does not contain potentially toxic additives like BPA or phthalates.
As you consider the many herb grinders for sale on the market today, you’ll want to keep your budget, your lifestyle, your vaping habits, and your personal preferences in mind. There is no single best grinder that will be ideal for everyone. Only by weighing your preferences, and comparing the features of the herb grinders on the market today can you find truly the best grinder for your needs. If you’d like additional information, or require shopping assistance, don’t hesitate to contact our customer service team. We’ll be glad to help you find the best grinder for your vaping needs.
Want to get the best results from your vaporizer? To help you find the best Dry Herb Grinder, here’s a quick guide on what to look for as you shop for grinder!
Best Weed Grinders of 2020
The SLX was already the best grinder around, and the V2.5 (Released early 2020) makes it even better. It retains all the positives of the original while improving the build quality. It has a smooth grinding action that does not require any effort, it grinds the herbs to a perfectly fluffy consistency, and it never needs to be cleaned. So, regardless of which kind of vaporizer you have, the SLX will be the perfect companion for it.
Zeus Bolt 2 Grinder
The Zeus Bolt 2 is an appealing choice for vapers that are looking for a low-cost grinder. It has a smooth grinding action and shreds down the herbs consistently. The scoop and the carrying bag are nice additional features that can be useful especially if you’re traveling. However, this grinder needs to be cleaned more often than other manual grinders.
The Tectonic9 is a manual grinder with an electronic dispensing action that makes it easy to use while keeping it portable-friendly. The grind consistency was good, and you can drop the herbs directly into your vaporizer. However, the additional complications involved with operating this grinder, plus the fact that it needs to be charged, means that it is not for everyone.
Space Case Grinder
Space Case grinders have a solid reputation because of their build quality and durability. They do an excellent job of grinding down dry herb, but you’ll need to clean out the grinder afterward, which can be a hassle. They’re also on the expensive side, and if you can afford it, then this grinder can serve you for years.
Santa Cruz Shredder
The Santa Cruz Shredder is one of the better grinders I’ve used because of how simple it is to use and how efficient the grind is. It’s pretty expensive, though, and it involves more cleaning than I like. Despite those problems, it’s easy to admire how well-engineered this grinder is when you use it. It turns super smooth, and the consistency is perfect for vaping.
Herb/Weed Grinders Buying Guide
What are Herb/Weed Grinders?
Herb grinders, aka weed grinders, do exactly as they say, they grind up the herb into a vaporizer-friendly consistency. This is necessary since large nugs won’t fit into most vaporizers and even if they could, they won’t get vaporized completely. Grinders can be either manual or electric, each of which has their pros and cons that we’ll get into later. However, I can tell you now that the grinder is the most important accessory to any vaporizer because you can’t use the vaporizer without it. So, now that you know that, let’s take a closer look at herb grinders.
Why Is It Important To Use a Good Grinder?
A grinder will break down the herb and give it a greater surface area so that it better fills the oven of the vaporizer. This allows the oven to evenly heat the herb, which improves the flavor and vapor production of the herb. Thoroughly ground herb also provides a better high because the terpenes and cannabinoids present in the herb are released more efficiently. Well ground herb also improves the airflow of the vaporizer and makes it easier to access the vapor because the heated air can pass through the ground-up herb more easily.
Manual VS Electric Grinders
Manual or electric is the main concern here since they are the two types of weed grinders from which to choose . Manual grinders require some elbow grease of course, but they are pretty easy to use and they have a few advantages:
- You never have to worry if they are charged or not
- They include their own receptacle to catch and distribute the ground herb
- The good ones rarely, if ever, need cleaning
- Most of them include kief catchers to collect some of the most potent parts of the herb
- They are more portable-friendly than electric grinders
Electric grinders are not as popular as manual grinders since they don’t perform as many of the same functions as manual grinders do. Plus they are more high-maintenance since they need to be cleaned and charged regularly. Still, they do have a few advantages over manual grinders:
- Can be easily used by anyone
- It’s a little easier to calibrate the consistency of the grind
Overall, manual grinders are the way to go, even for newbie vapers. Electric grinders should only be used by people who have trouble using manual grinders.
We've been asked by our readers to list the 10 best Weed and Herb Grinders of 2020 to use with a vaporizer- and here they are!