How to Clean a Silicone Bong – The Easy Way
Okay, so you’re looking at your silicone bong and thinking: how will I clean this one without destroying the living daylights out of it? It’s natural for us to scratch our heads when faced with such a dilemma because we’re used to cleaning glass bongs. One of the major selling points of a silicone bong is that it’s relatively easy to maintain and clean. Here’s how to clean a silicone bong easily, so you don’t have to bear with a stinky, dirty bong on your next sesh.
Cleaning a silicone bong using soap and water
One of the best things that you’ll love about silicone bongs is their durability and flexibility. You can squeeze and poke them with almost any kind of brush you can think of, and you don’t have to worry about getting a chip or two off of the bong. When cleaning a silicone bong with this method, you will need:
- A baby bottle brush
- Your favorite liquid dishwasher soap
- Running water
The best time to clean a bong using this method is almost immediately after use. The resin is still soft, and you only have to deal with a thin buildup. To start cleaning your silicone bong, here’s what you have to do:
- Take out the herb slide and put it aside on a secure, safe place. Preferably on top of a thick hand towel or cloth to keep it from rolling over.
- Dump out the used bong water in the sink and let hot water run through the bong for a couple of minutes. Shake the bong to help loosen up the resin.
- Take your liquid soap and pour a generous amount around the inside of the smoke chamber as well as the base.
- Push the bottle brush inside the silicone bong and scrub the bong firmly but not too hard. Make sure to reach inside the deepest part of the bong to clear out the resin.
- Don’t be afraid to twist and bend your silicone bong as you clean it to ensure that the brush reaches hard-to-reach areas.
- You can also clean the joint using the same brush. However, do this very carefully. You don’t want to cause a tear on the joint.
- If your bong comes with a silicone downstem, you can use pipe cleaners to scrub the inside thoroughly.
- Rinse off the soap and residue thoroughly with warm water.
- Lay upside down on a dish rack to dry. Make sure there are no other plates beneath the bong in case you weren’t able to get rid of the smell of the resin.
How to clean a silicone bong using your freezer
This method is perfect for those who are too tired at the end of a good session to clean their bong. The procedure is pretty simple.
- Set your fridge on the coldest setting for an hour before popping in the in bong.
- Take out the glass slide or downstem. Rinse the bong thoroughly with warm water to take out any ash and other residue.
- Shake out the water so that it’s wet but not holding in too much water that will solidify into a block of ice. What you need is a good film of water to coat around the inner walls of the bong.
- Freeze for 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Take out the bong and crunch it like there’s no tomorrow. Depending on the water content, you may need to exert a little bit of effort to take out the frozen residue.
- Keep crunching until you get all of the icicles out.
- Tap the silicone bong to empty the contents.
Some say are not getting any success with this kind of method. It’s probably either there’s not enough water inside the bong to create a good icy film. Or perhaps, the freezer was not cold enough to freeze the water quickly before it settles either on the sides or the bottom of the silicone bong.
Get an EYCE Silicone Bong that has a removable base for easier and faster cleaning.
Cleaning a silicone bong in dishwasher
If all else fails, and you have a tight schedule ahead, you can clean your silicone bong inside a dishwasher. To do this:
- Take out any fragile piece from your bong and set it aside. If you have a silicone downstem with a metal bowl, just detach it from the silicone bong, and set is beside the water pipe inside the dishwasher.
- Put water temperature on medium-high to high, depending on how old your dishwasher is.
- Let the dishwasher run a 2-5 minute cycle, depending on how dirty your bong is.
- Let the silicone bong and downstem cool down before taking it out of the dishwasher.
An important tip you have to consider: do this with caution. Both dishwasher and silicone manufacturers do not recommend this at all even if there are a number of smokers who actually do this. For one, the resin inside the bong will harm the walls and tubes of your dishwasher. Depending on how dirty your bong is, the residue is going to spread and stick inside the walls and pipes of your dishwasher. It’s like a plague of resin got the best of your dishwasher. Your plates are also going to end up smelling like resin as well. As for your bong, the heat of the water, as well as the rough cycling, can cause the silicone to warp or even fade too fast.
How about using regular iso + salt?
Iso and salt can do wonders to a glass bong. For a silicone bong, even it’s a medical-grade one, not so much. It can, and will clean your silicone bong, but it will also damage the coating as well as the material. The strong alcohol will eventually cause the silicone bong to fade and cause the coating to peel. If you want to use this method, you’ll need:
- 90%-99% isopropyl alcohol
- Coarse sea or kosher salt
- A large Ziploc bag for your bong
- Silicone bong caps, rubber stoppers, or paper towels to plug the joint and the mouthpiece.
Here’s what you need to do to clean your bong with iso and salt:
- Remove any breakable piece from the bong and place it in a separate Ziploc bag.
- Pour enough isopropyl alcohol to cover the parts. Add in salt.
- Shake for 5 minutes or until you get all the residue out.
- As for the bong, pour alcohol carefully inside the mouthpiece until half-way the base. Don’t let the alcohol drip outside the bong to protect the silicone coating.
- Add in a generous amount of salt, just enough to scrub inside the silicone bong.
- Use the caps, stoppers, or paper towel to plug the openings.
- Shake your bong for 5-15 minutes until you get all the gunk out.
- Since the silicone bong is opaque, you can test the cleanliness by pouring out the iso and salt solution in a non-reactive basin. Check for the murkiness of the solution then pour it back in. Once you see no change in the color, or you’re good to go.
- Pour out the iso and salt in the sink and rinse the bong thoroughly with warm water. Keep washing until you no longer smell even a hint of alcohol inside the bong.
Cleaning a silicone bong is not at all that complicated. Because of its durable and rugged design, you don’t have to treat it like a baby just to clean it. It does need regular cleaning compared to glass bongs, but the maintenance is well worth it. You’ll have a bong that will last you for ages, giving you hours and hours of smoking pleasure.
If you want a silicone bong that is easier to clean, get one that has detachable parts. One silicone bong we can recommend is the EYCE Silicone Bong that has a removable base that also acts as a storage compartment for your herbs. Another one is the Ooze Sax High-Grade Silicone Bong with a Quartz Bowl. You can take out the mouthpiece from the body, making it easier for you to check both water level and cleanliness. Big Daddy Smoke has you covered if you’re looking for Silicone Bongs for Sale.
We hope that this will give you the confidence to clean a silicone bong. If you have questions about silicone bong cleaning, please do share them with us in the comment section. Let’s help each other out on maintaining this lovely piece of smoking equipment.
We'll teach you how to clean a silicone bong so you will have a fresh, clean tasting session each time you take it out for a smoke.
How to Clean Silicone Bong in 3 Simple Steps – The Ultimate Guide!
Silicone bongs are all the rage these days because of their durability, affordability, flexibility, and variety of styles and vibrant colours. But, how do you clean a silicone bong? There are many ways to answer how to clean a silicone bong! Some are similar to how to clean a weed pipe, but others are unique to silicone. Bong cleaning is essential to get the most out of your toking sessions, so follow along as we list some simple methods (and sprinkle in a few great silicone bongs you might want to try along the way!).
Have your silicone bong shining like new! Photo: @glamlandbeauty_
Methods to Avoid for How to Clean a Silicone Pipe
Let’s start with what NOT to do, just to clear the air. As with all things on the internet, some of the suggested ways to go about cleaning your silicone bongs aren’t safe and should be avoided. As a general rule, it’s best to avoid using any product for cleaning that you would feel wary about inhaling or consuming. If you see any of the following suggestions, avoid them. Do not try them at home!
- Can I use hydrogen peroxide to clean my bong?
- Homemade 420 cleaner with shady ingredients – just ask yourself, “would I want to inhale whatever’s inside this?”
- What about using acetone to clean bong?
These methods involve dangerous chemicals that you have no business using in an object out of which you intend to smoke. Inhaling these chemicals could be very harmful or even fatal to you.
How to Clean Silicone Bong
In this section, we’ll cover the four major methods for cleaning silicone bongs that are safe, easy, and affordable.
We’ve seen stoner after stoner asking “is silicone dishwasher safe?” Not only is silicone completely dishwasher safe, but your silicone bong is also dishwasher safe. That’s right; you can put the whole bong in dishwasher!
The absolute simplest way to clean your bong is taking it apart and putting all the pieces in the dishwasher. Let that hot water and soap work its magic and clean whatever silicone bongs you’ve got at home.
If you go with this method you may find that you still need a bong brush silicone pipe cleaner or another type of pot pipe cleaner to help figure out how to get resin out of a bong or how to unclog a bong.
This is a great method to use for how to clean a bong without alcohol, not that that’s a bad option! In fact, it’s next on our list.
Looking for a silicone bong you can take with you ANYwhere? We’re serious, the Roll Uh Bowl bong is über flexible, meaning it’ll slide into any bag’s side pocket then spring into action when you need it to most!
Bucket hat recommended but not included in this photo from @rolluhbowl’s insta.
Don’t let your precious bong get gunky! Keep it shining like these! Photo: @emphaticmermaid
Alcohol is one of the most common methods people use for how to clean a weed pipe of any type. Alcohol is a largely effective method for cleaning silicone bongs and glass bongs.
The alcohol method is really easy and effective. All you have to do is take your bong apart and submerge each piece in a container of alcohol. You can use either cold or warm isopropyl alcohol of 70% concentration or higher, but warm will speed up the process.
Leave the bong submerged in the alcohol for at least a few hours, if not overnight. Once it’s done soaking, rinse all the pieces of your bong with water to ensure you get every last little bit of alcohol out of your piece, then leave it to dry.
Eyce is one of the best silicone bongs brands. With this bad boy, you’re getting a quality, durable bong that will last many a beautiful hit – especially if you keep ‘im clean!
@eycemolds – beautiful bongs and beautiful pictures of those bongs. Go give their ig a scroll!
Everyone deserves to have a clean bong to toke out of. Photo: @tobaccocity209
The major benefit to using a silicone bong vs glass is that the freezing method is far more effective and easier to accomplish because of the flexibility of the silicone.
How to clean silicone bong freezer is super easy! Simply throw your silicone pipe in the freezer for a few hours, letting all the gunk get good and frozen on the sides. Because silicone bongs are flexible, once you take your bong out you can bend and manipulate it to force the gunk out.
The only downside to this method is that it’s not a very effective way to figure out how to get smell out of silicone. It’s a very effective way to clean out all the resin, though.
Keep the peace with the Piecemaker Silicone Bong, a thoughtful, quality bong that you can count on to bring all your friends together in love and harmony.
Thanks to @quema_smokeshop for capturing these two peaceful buddies!
Your ordinary glass bong could never come close to being this flexible! Photo: @tumu_shop
Just like with glass pipes, you can easily clean the bong with vinegar. To figure out how to clean a bong with vinegar, all you need to do is do the exact same thing as you did with alcohol, only replace the alcohol with vinegar.
This method is much more effective if you add some baking soda to the mix. The coarse texture of the baking soda helps to scrub the sides of the bong, clearing them of all the resin caked up.
Let the world know what type of humour you enjoy with the Trailer Park Boys bong. All jokes aside, it’s a great bong made of food-grade silicone and has a very handy suction cup base.
We’re sober enough to know what we’re doing, as was @psychadelicfoo when they posted this awesome photo.
Tips for how to clean a weed bowl when it’s silicone
There are a few things you should know about cleaning your silicone bong bowl before you get started. These tips will help to make your cleaning process easier and more effective.
- If you’re having trouble getting everything out of your pipe (which can be particularly difficult if it’s been crusted on for a while, particularly in the silicone downstem) then we recommend investing in a nicer, store-bought marijuana pipe cleaner, like 420 Bong Cleaner or Orange Chronic Bong Cleaner.
- Using boiling vinegar or boiling water can be an effective method as well, though we find the boiling process to be not entirely necessary. The other methods are just as effective without risking burns or wasting time taking that extra step.
- Make sure you research how to clean resin out of a glass bowl if your silicone pipe comes with a glass bowl, because the methods aren’t always interchangeable.
- Always make sure you rinse your pipes thoroughly after cleaning with alcohol, vinegar, weed pipe cleaners, etc. You don’t want to inhale or ingest these chemicals or have your hits tasting or smelling like vinegar. Once you’re sure you’ve thoroughly rinsed everything, lay it out to dry, letting the water evaporate away entirely.
Use Orange Chronic so you have chronically clean pipes! All natural ingredients and a happy, smiling orange encouraging you from the label? Yeah, we’re more incentivized to clean now, too!
Thanks, always-reliable photogs, for the great stock image.
With these steps your bong will be gleaming like new! Photo: @tumu_shop
Cleaning your silicone pipe and trying to figure out how to get smell out of silicone can be an undertaking for sure, but it’s more time-consuming than anything. Keeping your smoking pipes clean by going through this process regularly is essential to keeping them nice.
Each of the methods we detailed above is as effective as the other, so try them all and see which works best for you and your silicone pipes. If you find one method to be more effective than the others or the supplies easier to get, stick with that.
Can’t get enough? Try searching some of these fascinating related topics!
- Are silicone pipes safe?
- What’s the healthiest way to smoke weed?
- Can you boil silicone?
- How to boil a pipe for resin
- How to boil glass pipes
- How to clean a bubbler with boiling water
- How to clean a bubbler without alcohol
- Are there weed subscription boxes?
Have a glass pipe instead? Check out this video!
In case you need more options for your glassware:
Grunge Off – natural, non-toxic cleaner. NOTE! This is for a GLASS bong.
Get the formula just right for your glassware using Formula 420.
We’d like to thank the professional photogs who took the above three stock photos for each respective product #rightsreserved
Have questions before you start cleaning? Comment below!
No one should be toking out of a dirty silicone bong! That's why we've put together this list of ways to clean your silicone bong. No matter which one you choose it'll be super simple and well worth the little bit of effort you put into it! Take a look and see which one is easiest for you. Don't keep waiting!