How to Repair a Broken Bong Percolator
Introduction: How to Repair a Broken Bong Percolator
Note: This tutorial will work on tobacco waterpipes (bongs) with 4mm glass. It is easier to do than it looks. You just might have to practice with the glass cutter. If you like your bong a lot or if it was expensive, it is definetely worth it. Besides, once you have all the materials you can fix many bongs in future, too. Also, it is a fun project.
You will need:
– A simple glass cutter, for example this one: Amazon.com link*
– Two component epoxy glue without solvents (you also can get food
grade epoxy if you want), DON’T use glass glue unless it is food grade and water resistant. Normal glue will not work! For example this one: Amazon.com link*
Advantage of epoxy: once dried out it is very hard, not toxic and the one I
have is also resistant to acid and bases (good for dishwasher tabs when
– A jetflame lighter or candle (for thicker/ thinner glass)
– Not to forget: A broken bong (whole percolator broken off or if an arm of the perc broke off)
* = These links are all amazon.com affiliate links
Step 1: Using the Glass Cutter
– wash your bong from the inside and outside with dishwasher tabs and hot water (that yellow thingy is the rest of a tab that didnt dissolve properly)
– then dry it off well on the outside
– find a stable and easily turnable position to (ideally) cut a perfect ring around the neck of your bong
– apply a little oil to the small cutting wheel of the glass cutter
– mark the place where you want to cut (in my case at the bottom so I can
get at the bottom of the percolator when glueing it back on later)
– place the glass cutter straight onto the glass
– gently apply force on it so you get a deeper cut while slowly turning it
– (practice on a normal glass before if you want to)
– don’t panic – the glass cutter doesn’t really cut the glass deep at all, more looks like a scratch
Step 2: Open Up the Bong
– Now carefully heat the small cut the glass cutter made. Use a jetflame
lighter (thicker glass) or a candle (thinner glass) for around 20-30
– try to only heat the small cut
– then immediately cool the glass off with cold water
– the glass will crack after this. If it doesn’t, try heating the cut longer or
you have a bong made of heat resistable glass.
– do this over and over again bit by bit until you have a nice crack going through and all the way around the glass
– you might have to re-cut some places
– after you have a crack around it it will either easily come apart or you have to gently knock it on an edge (of a wooden table)
– once apart, wash the inside out with hot water and dry the perc and the other two parts well with a hairdryer
Step 3: Fixing Your Percolator
– Firstly, take the epoxy and make an equally long line of each the epoxy and the hardener and mix it up well (you don’t need very much)
– apply it to whatever you want to stick back together
– hold it in place for 5 minutes
– (if just one of the arms broke off you can either put it back on or block
the hole with epoxy and throw away the one arm)
– wait 10 minutes and apply another layer around the outside just to go sure it won’t leak any water (only if your whole percolator broke off like in the pictures)
Step 4: Putting Everything Back Together
– Now, mix some more epoxy
– Find the exact position where the two parts were together before
– Apply it to both sides (not too much or it will flow out on the sides when
put together -> not so nice)
– push from the top so everything goes together tightly without air bubbles
– stabilize the position otherwise it moves slightly while drying and then you have edges
– it will be smokeable in 18-48 hours
– CONGRATS! You will have fixed your bong!
I fixed two bongs this way. Didn’t find any tutorial with this method so I decided to share it with you!
Be the First to Share
Did you make this project? Share it with us!
How to Repair a Broken Bong Percolator: Note: This tutorial will work on tobacco waterpipes (bongs) with 4mm glass. It is easier to do than it looks. You just might have to practice with the glass cutter. If you like your bong a lot or if it was expensive, it is definetely worth it. Besid…
10 Best Glues To Fix Any Bong – no3 is Awesome!
There’s nothing else quite like finding the perfect glass bong. It sits in your hand just right, smokes like no other, and catches every eye in the room. Of course, you want to show it off and pass it around, but then it happens: “that friend” knocks over your beautiful new glass. It hits the ground and you hear that painfully familiar glass-breaking, heart-breaking sound.
So there it lies, broken beyond use. Your friend is full of apologies and guarantees to replace it, but you wanted to smoke NOW. Fortunately, you’ve got just the tool for the job – the perfect bottle of glass glue. Just a quick patch job and your smoke session will be rolling right on time.
Is it safe to use super glue on a bong?
This is important, so take note: do NOT use glue in the areas that actually meet open flame, namely the bowl itself. If your bowl breaks, you’re better off replacing it or just rolling a paper while you work on replacing your glass. But if anything else breaks, especially if it’s a nice clean break, it is absolutely safe to glue the pieces together!
What is the best glue for glass?
With all these awesome adhesives, it’s hard to point out a single best one. Mostly it comes down to your needs and equipment. But you can rest assured that these are going to repair your broken glass and get you back to that sweet herb in no time.
E6000 Craft Adhesive – $9.33
This industrial-strength craft adhesive is our top pick to get your broken glass back in working order. It’s trusted by thousands from hobbyists to professionals, dries totally clear, and is absolutely waterproof. This all-American product is even heat resistant so you can safely fix minor breaks on dab rigs without worrying about the torch hurting your repair job (but still absolutely NO using this in the actual bowl/banger!).
Loctite Glass Glue – $2.82
We couldn’t make a list of the best glass adhesives without this longtime favorite. Loctite glass glue is one of the oldest and most recognized names in the adhesive world. It dries clear and is sure to get your broken glass back together in one try.
Gorilla Clear Glue – $7.84
Another well-established, trusted name in the adhesives world is Gorilla. They make some of the strongest adhesives in every form imaginable, and now you can have all that power in a clear, non-foaming glue. Once you get your glass back together, use this awesome glue for other repair jobs around your house, inside and out!
Rhino Ultra Glue – $14.95
While we’re talking animal-themed adhesives, Rhino is another powerhouse in the glass glue world. It’s fast, tough, and will bond practically anything. The stress-resistant formula helps resist drops, scrapes, impacts, moisture, heat – everything you’ll be throwing at it after you put your pieces together again.
The Original Super Glue Glass Adhesive – $10.47
A list of the best glues wouldn’t be complete without The Original Super Glue. This special version of their classic product is made specifically for glass-on-glass use. However, it’s important to note that this particular glue cures with UV light, so you’ll either need to let it sit outside in sunlight briefly or cure it with a UV lamp.
Beacon Glass, Metal, and More – $8.99
This waterproof, weatherproof glass glue will make sure you get your broken bong like new in no time. Part of what makes this repair broken glass so well is its ability to grab onto surfaces fast, so you don’t have to hold it in place until the glue sets and your arm falls asleep. Once you feel it set well enough to stay, just leave it and rest assured that your bong will be back by your next smoke session.
Weldbond Multi-Purpose Adhesive – $8.58
If you’re trying to make your investment go as far as possible, way beyond just something you can use to make your glass still works well, give Weldbond a try. It acts as a sealant, an adhesive, is non-toxic, and non-flammable. The only drawback here is you’ll have to take a bit more care when you use it to repair your glass. There’s also a 24-hour recommended wait period to let this one fully cure, so make sure you can clamp your glass or have a nice clean break that can stand on its own.
Pratley Quickset Clear Glue – $8.95
This two-part glue is one of the best around if you don’t mind doing a little legwork to mix it up. Just mix equal parts of the two tubes, stir it up, and you’ve got one of the best epoxies around for glass repair. Make sure you use it within three minutes from the time you mix the two parts together, or it could dry up too soon!
Nano470 Glass Glue – $35.09
This is the biggest powerhouse of all these adhesives. It’s truly “construction strength,” meaning it can even handle serious load-bearing work. While we doubt your bong will be doing much heavy lifting, it can certainly be reassuring to know you’ve got such a powerful adhesive holding yours together like new. This is another that needs UV light to cure, so make sure you have a plan to shed some light on it!
CAT PALM B-7000 Adhesive – $9.99
This adhesive comes in a handy, needle-tipped bottle so you can glue with precision every time. It’s waterproof, weatherproof, and dries fast as well. And if you get it on your hands, no worries – it’s soft on the skin and easy to clean off.
Once you’ve overcome the heartbreaking breaking glass, just pick up the pieces and try one of these great glues. You’ll be back to smoking your piece like new in no time. Again, NEVER use adhesives or the likes around your actual bowl or banger; burning these could release toxic fumes into your hits.
If you’ve already got your Loctite glass formula on hand and would like to get further into bong repair, check out these topics:
- How to fix a broken bong stem?
- How much does bong repair cost?
- Can you hot glue a bong back together?
There’s nothing else quite like finding the perfect glass bong. It sits in your hand just right, smokes like no other, and catches every eye in the room. Of course, you want to show it off and pass it around, but then it happens: “that friend” knocks over your beautiful new glass. It hits the ground and you hear that p