How to pack a bowl
Copy article link to clipboard.
Link copied to clipboard.
- What is a bowl?
- What you need to pack a bowl
- Step-by-step instructions for packing a bowl
- Why people like smoking from glass bowls
- Why people hate smoking from glass bowls
- Bottom line
Smoking a bowl is a classic method for smoking marijuana. Bowls are mainstays in cannabis culture. Here’s everything you need to know about packing and smoking a bowl.
What is a bowl?
A bowl is one of the main components of a pipe or bong. Specifically, a bowl is the rounded-out part into which you pack your marijuana. The name of this component comes from an obvious source—a bowl is basically a small dish or basin designed for holding cannabis.
When you ignite the marijuana and give your pipe or bong a drag, the smoke travels through the bowl, down the hole, into the pipe, and from there, into your lungs. Photo by: Gina Coleman/Weedmaps
The bowl is attached to the body of your pipe or bong. At the bottom of your bowl, there will be a hole leading to the body of the pipe. When you ignite the marijuana and give your pipe or bong a drag, the smoke travels through the bowl, down the hole, into the pipe, and from there, into your lungs.
Bowls look and function a little bit differently depending on if they’re used in a regular pipe or in a bong. Bowls on the end of a pipe typically have a hole on the side called a carb. The carb plays a key role in controlling airflow, so you can let the pipe fill with smoke and then clear it when you’re ready to take a hit. On the other hand, bowls used with a bong usually do not have a carb. Instead, you control airflow by sliding the bowl in and out of your bong’s downstem.
What you need to pack a bowl
To pack and smoke a bowl, you will need:
- A grinder
- A pipe with a bowl on the end. The simplest kind is called a “spoon pipe,” but there are also variations, such as bubblers which include a small water chamber in addition to the bowl and body.
- Depending on your smoking preferences, you may need a bong with a downstem and bowl.
- A lighter or hemp wick to combust your marijuana
- As an extra option, you can use a tamping tool to more evenly pack the marijuana into the bowl.
Step-by-step instructions for packing a bowl
Option 1: Packing a bowl on a regular pipe
1. Grind your weed. If you’re using a spoon pipe, or some variation of a spoon pipe, you will begin by grinding your marijuana. The goal is to get a consistent grind so that all the little pieces of marijuana are more or less the same size.
The best way to accomplish this is with a grinder. If you have a grinder, place a medium-sized nug into the chamber where the grinding teeth are located. Put the cap back on and twist it back and forth until the nug is completely ground. If you do not have a grinder, you can use a pair of clean, sharp scissors or your hands to break your nug into small, evenly-sized pieces.
Place a medium-sized nug into the chamber where the grinding teeth are located. Put the cap back on and twist it back and forth until the nug is completely ground. Photo by: Gina Coleman/Weedmaps
2. Pack your bowl. Once you’ve ground your marijuana, carefully pick up a pinch of weed between your fingertips. Place the weed into the bowl and gently tamp it down with your finger, the flat end of a lighter, or a tamping tool. Don’t pack it too tightly, otherwise you’ll have difficulty pulling the smoke through the bowl and into the pipe.
Tip: Place your pipe over a plate or tray while you’re packing it so you can easily gather up any pieces of weed that happen to fall out of the bowl during the process.
Once you’ve ground your marijuana, carefully pick up a pinch of weed between your fingertips and pack the weed into the bowl. Photo by: Gina Coleman/Weedmaps
3. Smoke your pipe. Hold the bowl in one hand with your thumb covering the carb hole. Place the pipe to your lips. With your other hand, use a lighter or hemp wick to light a corner of the bowl. Once the weed sparks, pull the flame away and begin dragging in with your lungs. When you’re ready to inhale, remove your thumb from the carb and give a big drag. All the smoke that has built up inside the pipe will now rush into your lungs.
Hold the bowl in one hand with your thumb covering the carb hole. Place the pipe to your lips. With your other hand, light a corner of the bowl. Photo by: Gina Coleman/Weedmaps
4. Ash your bowl. When the marijuana has all been burned, dump out the ash so your bowl is ready to be re-packed for your next session.
Option 2: Packing a bowl in a bong
1. Grind your weed. As with a regular spoon pipe, the goal here is to get a consistent grind so that all the little pieces of marijuana are more or less the same size.
The best way to accomplish this is with a grinder. If you have a grinder, place a medium-sized nug into the chamber where the grinding teeth are located. Put the cap on and twist it back and forth until the nug is completely ground. If you do not have a grinder, you can use a pair of clean, sharp scissors or your hands to break your nug into small, evenly-sized pieces.
2. Pack your bowl. Once you’ve ground your marijuana, carefully pick up a pinch of weed between your fingertips. Place the weed into the bowl and gently tamp it down with your finger, the flat end of a lighter, or a tamping tool. Don’t pack it down too tightly, otherwise you’ll have difficulty pulling the smoke through the bowl and into the bong.
Tip: Set your bong on top of a plate or tray while you’re packing the bowl so you can easily gather up any pieces of weed that happen to fall out of the bowl during the process.
3. Smoke your bong. Slide your weed-packed bowl into the downstem of your bong. When it’s in place, use a lighter or hemp wick to ignite the weed. As you do this, put your mouth to the mouthpiece and start pulling in with your lungs. You will see the smoke travel from the bowl, flow through the downstem, and begin bubbling up through the water in the base of your bong. When you’re ready to take a hit, continue pulling in with your lungs and slide the bowl out of the downstem. This will create an open flow of air, allowing you to clear the chamber and inhale all the smoke.
Slide your weed-packed bowl into the downstem of your bong. When it’s in place, use a lighter or hemp wick to ignite the weed. Photo by: Gina Coleman/Weedmaps
4. Ash your bowl. When you’re finished and you’ve fully combusted all the marijuana in your bowl, dump out the ash so your bowl is ready to re-pack for your next session.
Why people like smoking from glass bowls
If you’re packing and smoking a bowl, odds are that you’re using a glass smoking device. Glass is known for providing a simple, straightforward, and clean way to smoke cannabis. Specifically, because glass is an inert substance, it can be heated without leaching residual odors, flavors, or contaminants into the smoke. As such, many smokers enjoy glass pieces because they can be used over and over again without detracting from marijuana’s natural tastes and smells. Additionally, when a glass bowl or pipe becomes dirty or gunked up with sticky resin, the material can easily be cleaned and returned to like-new condition.
Why people hate smoking from glass bowls
There are a few reasons some cannabis smokers don’t like smoking from glass. Glass can shatter, chip, and break, especially if you drop your piece or ash in too aggressively.
In rare cases, poorly-made glass can shatter under intense heat, which could be dangerous.
Glass pieces are not as mobile or discreet as other methods of smoking. Even small glass pipes like chillums get dirty and smelly after a few uses, thanks to the sticky resin that coats the bowl or pipe after smoking. This makes glass hard to carry with you or use for on-the-go smoking.
Some smokers simply prefer the experience of rolling and smoking a joint, spliff, or blunt, as opposed to packing and smoking a bowl.
With a few basic cannabis supplies, such as a grinder, packing and smoking a bowl is easy to achieve, especially if you’re using one made of glass.How to pack a bowl Copy article link to clipboard. Link copied to clipboard. Contents What is a bowl? What you need to pack a bowl Step-by-step instructions for packing a
[UPDATED] How to pack a bowl of weed perfectly?
[UPDATED] How to pack a bowl of weed perfectly?
Packing a perfectly stacked bowl of weed is an elementary skill that is essential for every weed lover. Known as the most popular way of consuming cannabis, you can never go wrong by smoking a bowl.
While it remains popular, some smokers may still find it difficult to master the art of stashing the herbs into a bowl. And don’t worry, everyone learns it from somewhere. If you’re looking for answers to how to pack a bowl of weed, this blog is your answer!
The thing is, cannabis culture does not follow the master-student approach. You learn from a friend who smokes pot and his/her homies, picking up their habit. Or you quench your curiosity by coming on the dark web to receive the pothead diploma.
You may not pack the perfect bowl in your first attempt. But trust me, in no time, you will be teaching other novice tokers the same.
If you’re looking for the perfect way to pack a weed bowl to get blitzed, you’re at the right place. It goes only uphill from here!
What is a bowl of weed?
Before we get onto how to pack a bowl of weed, let’s first understand what a weed bowl is.
Bowl is the part of your smoking instrument which holds the smokable material, which in our case is the weed. It is connected to the pipe or bong, and allows the heated weed flavour to pass through them to give you a monstrous cloud of vapour along with a sweet hit!
Typically when you inhale from the mouthpiece, the smoke travels through the bowl into the pipe/bong, and then towards the mouthpiece. And now you understand why bowls are really important. After all, that’s where the magic begins!
Bowls come in various shapes and sizes, depending on your capacity and whether you’re toking with a gang or alone. A party-sized bowl can accommodate an entire eighth-ounce of buds while the small-sized bowls are perfect for a quiet drag in your room.
The practice of smoking a bowl comes from ancient chillums and pipes which were made from wood, bamboo, or even ceramics. Today, we see a range of pipes and bongs made from borosilicate glass simply because they are more durable and resistant to heat. And a cleaning process can take them back to being as good as new. You can get a range of cool bowls for weed from Olivastu!
Let’s have a look at the best ways to pack a bowl.
How to pack a bowl of weed- bongs and smoking pipes
Before you understand how to pack a weed bowl, you need to know about the two smoking instruments- the pipe and bongs. Even though the process of packing a weed bowl won’t differ much, their process of guiding the smoke definitely does.
A smoking pipe makes use of a bowl and an airtight channel to deliver a packed punch of smoke through the mouthpiece. You may also find a small hole on the side of the bowl in many smoking pipes which are known as a carb. This is a second air channel that regulates the airflow through the pipe, making the drag a lot smoother and real.
Though smoking pipe filters out the ash, many people like to use an extra screen which helps to keep any extra product from sneaking into the smoke. To use this, you will have to load a weed pipe.
You can get a smoking pipe in various shapes and sizes ranging from the typical chillum, bubblers, to one-hitters and spoon pipes . Choose which one works the best for depending upon your consumption and capacity. And I will teach you how to load it flawlessly.
Moving on to bongs, it is similar to a smoking pipe, but instead of travelling through the air chambers, the smoke enters the water chamber to cool down before reaching the mouthpiece. Bongs are known as a filtration device as they filter out any ash, tar or by-products of the smoke when it passes through the water chamber to cool itself. The result is a smooth, and less harsh toke than what you would experience from a joint.
Now that’s two ways in which you can smoke a bowl of weed. Let’s see how to pack a bowl of weed.
What you need to pack a bowl of weed
Before you learn how to make a bowl of weed, it is important to collect all the essential ingredients and equipment for a smooth session.
- Weed (of course)
- A herb grinder (We will discuss this further)
- A smoking apparatus- smoking pipe(bubbler, spoon pipe, etc) or a bong
- A lighter or hemp wick to light the bowl
- You can also make use of a tamping tool to pack the bowl more evenly.
There are three ways in which you can break the weed – let’s have a look at them.
Using a herb grinder
It is the easiest and the most efficient way to do so. Easiest, because all you have to do is place the weed and twist the grinder, and there you have it! Efficient because it takes less than a minute to give you evenly ground nugs that will make for an even smoke.
The grinder yields very finely shredded herbs that can be used to tightly pack a bowl. But that also means you are using more weed in a bowl than you would if the weed was broken by your fingers. More weed is directly proportional to a more potent hit! If you’re a beginner, try keeping your flowers at a consistency where it is too fine. And if you like to get danked, go for it buddy!
If you have a grinder with a kief catcher, you can sprinkle the kief, which is the trichomes on your bowl to get a better and powerful flavour!
Using your fingers
Many people like the feel of sticky and smelly and break the herbs with their hands. For others, this may be a time-taking and an annoying process, especially if you have bigger hands and longer fingers. It is easy to break a small nug, but as you start working on more petite sizes, your hands end up being sore.
But here’s an advantage- if you can break your herbs with your fingers, you won’t need a grinder and can do it basically everywhere!
Using a whole hog
This may be the easiest way to pack a bowl, but you have to be careful not to clog the airflow completely. You just need to drop a bowl-sized nug right into the bowl and light it. This method works well when the nug is airy and fluffy, but the super-dense nugs will block the airflow and ruin your smoking session.
There are different ways in which you heat your bowl of weed. The best way to light a bowl is using a lighter.
Butane lighters are the most common way to light a bowl, and you can choose from a range of lighter to get the job done. Non-butane lighters are preferred by those who want to avoid the butane flavour.
Apart from lighters, you can also light a bowl using a hemp wick, which is a hemp string lathered with wax which maintains an even burn and is pretty easy to ignite.
Glass wand is a heating element which is used to smoke a bowl of weed. Just bring it in contact with the herbs and watch your herbs vaporize instead of combusting. It is definitely a safer way to smoke and delivers all the cannabinoids and flavour of your herbs.
How to pack and smoke a bowl of weed – Step-by-step guide
- Start with using a herb grinder or any other method to shred your herbs into a consistent size which will give you an even burn and flavour.
Once your herb is ready, start loading it in your bowl. The trick is to pack the herb lightly at the bottom and densely at the surface of the bowl to maintain a burn or cherry while toking. You can use the back of the lighter or a tamping tool to gently tap on the bowl to pack it better. You can check whether the bowl is chocked or not before lighting it. Simply inhale from the mouthpiece as if you were smoking without actually lighting the bowl. If you can feel the air coming through without any difficulty, you have packed the bowl perfectly. But if it feels stuck, you need to lighten the bowl.
The next step is to light your bowl. If you are smoking through a pipe which has a carb, remember to cover it when you inhale. In the case of bongs, you simply need to take in the vapour from the mouthpiece.
Use a lighter or hemp wick to light the bowl. As soon as you see the weed is ignited, keep the flame away and smoke it!
There you go! In three steps, you go from nothing to enjoying delicious flavoursome weed.
This was your answer to how to pack a bowl of weed!
It doesn’t seem that hard, does it?
Once you start doing it, you will find new and preferred ways to smoke, and there is no coming back from that.Packing a bowl of weed perfectly is essential to get a smooth, flavoursome and even drag. If you’re looking for the best way to toke on a pipe or bong, have a look at this elaborate guide. ]]>